Some links to products and travel providers on this website will earn Traveling For Miles a commission that helps contribute to the running of the site. Traveling For Miles has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Traveling For Miles and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities. For more details please see the disclosures at the bottom of every page.
As promised last week, IHG has added to its existing Cyber sale (see here) and opened up two new offers for members of the IHG One Rewards program. Both offers are only around for a limited time (one of them ends tomorrow) but both will have uses in their own ways.
Earn 10,000 bonus points every 2 nights
Of the two deals that launched today, this is probably potentially the most lucrative but also the most restrictive.
The “10,000 Points for Every 2 Nights” promotional offer gives IHG One Rewards members the opportunity to earn 10,000 IHG One Rewards bonus points each time they complete two qualifying room nights at participating hotels during the promotion period.
- Registration required (here)
- Book qualifying room night stays between 28 November 2022 (12:00 AM Local Standard Time) until 29 November 2022 (11:59 PM Local Standard Time) only.
- Only qualifying room nights booked during the Activation Period after the member has registered are eligible for the Promotion.
- To qualify for an award of 10,000 bonus points for two qualifying room nights under this Promotion, each of the two qualifying room nights must be part of one or more “Promotion Eligible Qualifying Stays” and must fall within the Promotion Period.
- The “Promotion Period” is from 28 November 2022 until 31 December 2022.
- Room nights prior to registration or outside of the Promotion Period are not included, and room nights that are part of a stay that was booked or completed prior to registration for the Promotion also are not included.
- For purposes of the Promotion, a “Promotion Eligible Qualifying Stay” is defined as a minimum 1-night stay booked under a Qualifying Rate, with a room rate exceeding $30 USD (or local equivalent) for each night.
- Stays booked using Reward Nights or Points & Cash are not Promotion Eligible Qualifying Stays for purposes of this Promotion.
- Bookings made through online travel agencies or other reservation sites such as booking.com or expedia.com also do not qualify under this Promotion.
Full terms can be found on the promotion page
I value IHG points at 0.4 cents each so by my calculations, this promotion is effectively offering a rebate of $40 for every two nights consumed. That’s pretty great.
What’s a little less great is the fact that existing bookings do not qualify, that rewards bookings will not qualify (admittedly, that’s par for the course with IHG promos) and that only stays consumed by the end of the year will qualify for the bonus points – that’s a window of just 33 days.
Still, if you’re planning on booking some stays, this is a nice bonus to be given and if you already have one or more flexible stays booked, now would be the time to check if it’s worth cancelling and rebooking to lock in the bonus points on offer.
Get 25% off Points & Cash bookings
Sadly, this deal isn’t quite as great as its name may suggest (or as good as last week’s teaser led me to believe that it would be) as the 25% discount only applies to the cash element of the booking – there’s no discount being offered on the points element.
- This offer for 25% savings on the cash portion of Points & Cash bookings
- The offer is available only to IHG One Rewards members who book their stay during the period of 28 November 2022 until 2 December 2022.
- Stays must be completed between 1 January 2023 until 28 February 2023
- This 25% discount is offered at time of booking and only applies to the cash cost of the booking.
- A member must be logged in to their IHG One Rewards account at the time of booking to access the discount.
- The cash portion of Points & Cash bookings is charged immediately in U.S. dollars.
- For cancellations, both the points and the cash components of the booking are refunded in points only.
- The number of points refunded is determined by the points-only price at the original time of booking.
Full terms can be found on the promotion page
This is clearly the less of the two promos that IHG has launched today, but if you’re short on points and the terms of the promo work for you, this may be a away to booking a stay that may otherwise have been out of reach.
Having said that, keep in mind that IHG is currently running its best points sale in which members can buy up to 500,000 points at 0.5 cents/point, so it will be important for anyone thinking of participating in this deal to work out if it’s cheaper to pay with Points + Cash or to simply buy all the point needed for the booking and to book a standard award night.
As was suggested last week, today has seen IHG unveil two further promotions in honor of Cyber Monday. The first promotion offers members the chance to earn 10,000 bonus points for every two nights consumed by the end of the year while the second, offers members a 25% discount on the cash element of all Points + Cash bookings consumed in the first two months of 2023.
What do you think of these two promotions? Good? Bad? Plain ol’ ugly?